Friday, August 30, 2013

Glimpses of Inspiration in Connecticut


Think big when your shadow looks like this...

The transition to Connecticut through the Carolinas—with support from Travis, my family, and friends (and a little unicorn and a tiny elephant)—went smoothly, despite my stomach upset from leaving Travis and the comfort zone I call home. I had a nice visit with my parents, brother, and grandmother; albeit a brief visit. Then, I hit the road at 2am on Tuesday. 

Dad, Russ, and Lady got out of bed to see me out.





Inside, I felt alone and empty...a container ready for filling. Robin Thicke's song on nearly every station (but country) "blurred lines" in the road as I crossed state line to state line, edging my way closer to my destination. I met briefly in Ashland VA for breakfast with Uncle Jim and Aunt Maxine. Cracker Barrel. Of course.

Baltimore tried to road block me but I found an outer loop that re-routed through the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel, and the New Jersey Turnpike went on...for...hours. I waited for someone to drop from the sky after being John Malkovich.

It never happened.

I held my breath as I drove across the George Washington Bridge from New Jersey into New York, looking across at the new Freedom Tower in the hazy sky. All the talk about driving through New York was scarier than actually doing it. It was just a bunch of congested traffic with a view of ashy, dirty brick buildings in the Bronx. I think I paid my last toll here after spending about $50 in tolls alone. No biggie, but get me out of here.


It welcomes...muah?
A couple of hours later, I made it. I was at school. 

I met the other instructors-in-training and we went to the store, then off to the house I am sharing with two others: One from New York, and the other from Israel. Both 21. Both totally sweet.

On the first day, we had a special guest to welcome us to school.

Adorable Smokey
We were all assigned a horse to perform a riding assessment upon. This is the horse that was assigned to me, Bella. I loved her. She was very sensitive and was a joy to ride.

Bella and me
And I have had the opportunity to meet many of the staff who really appear to love what they do. Over the first three days of school, we intensively covered equine anatomy, received brief lessons in sidewalking and leading, learned the feeding schedule, and learned many of the procedures of how things are done in the therapeutic riding world.

I woke up this morning to a birthday unicorn crown from my new Israeli buddy and housemate...

Mazel tov!
I also got two surprise deliveries at school: Starbucks from Rachel (yay!) and flowers from Jason and Lou (beautiful! Unfortunately not what was ordered. I have a feeling someone at ProFlowers got their heads chewed off). My birthday gift this year was being here, but I did miss not being able to spend it with Travis. Luckily, I didn't have to spend my birthday alone. All but one (who lives in a nearby town and had plans with family) of the students came out to dinner with me. This gave me an opportunity to get to know the others a little better. I had a blast.

They are a great group of girls. I wish we were all staying at the same place. Everyone has something incredible to offer. Listening to each one and their varying levels of experience and education is inspiring.

Beginning a new chapter in our lives, both separately and together...

No comments:

Post a Comment