Thursday, February 13, 2014

EQUU8: A journey

So, I've decided on calling my new venture EQUU8.

For equine enthusiasts, they may immediately recognize the word "EQUUS." But, instead, here, the S is closed, forming an 8. Consider "equate."

The first time I heard my mentor, Paul Dietz, say "horsemanship is lifemanship", it "felt" right to me, but I didn't understand exactly what he meant. I focused on the word lifemanship. What is that? Why did he use that word.

But as I look back on my journey from a horse-loving kid, to a horsechick, to a student of horsemanship, to a therapeutic riding instructor, I think about what it all means to me.

I knew as a child, there was something special about horses for me. When they helped me find healing, I wanted to learn more about how and why. And I start to realize what this lifemanship is. And I want to share it.

I am waiting at the county offices to register my fbn. 


Doors are slowly opening. I am passing my time trying to put one foot in front of the other. I have picked up a cute little rescue, on trial and ready to take on her first lesson, and I am starting an Arab filly who is reminding me that every moment of true horsemanship is important. She is impressionable and teaching me to teach her. 

I believe that horsemanship is therapeutic in nature...so able bodied or not, I want to help people and horses begin to heal. 

So begins this journey... 


2 comments:

  1. This is great. I can't wait to hear what's next for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just signed up to recieve your newsletters! I am excited for you, and I know my healing can come through the Equine as well!

    ReplyDelete